Friday 9 May 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 75

Block 75 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 75 - Nearly Insane Quilt
I think this is the last of the blocks with a gazillion pieces - well, 153 this time.  As I have said before, these complex mega-piece 6" blocks have been my favourite throughout the Nearly Insane Quilt journey - I am almost sad to think that this is the last one.  When I am doing these complex blocks the pattern builds up as you add each stage. It makes me want to embark on a medallion quilt - maybe that could be the next project?
Block 75 Centre - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 75 Centre - Nearly Insane Quilt
This is the centre of the block.  The cornerstones are just 1/4" square - tiny!  As the border is also only 1/4" wide, I fussy cut a Pinking Shear stripe from my Mama Said Sew collection to add a bit of interest.  Fussy cutting is becoming a more familiar feature in my patchwork these days.
Block 75 Original pattern
Block 75 Original pattern
This is a photo of the original pattern in Liz Lois Nearly Insane Quilt pattern book.  You may have noticed that I have made a few changes to the original block.  I have altered the direction of the half square triangles ... and the shape of the triangles ... and the squares in the middle ... and have added some some cornerstones. I'm really pleased with the result.
Block 75 visits Caerhays Castle, Cornwall
Block 75 visits Caerhays Castle, Cornwall

With so many pieces, it has taken a while to complete the block, so Block 75 is one of the more well-travelled blocks.  Here you can see it visiting Caerhays Castle in Cornwall, as I managed to complete a few more miles on the Cornish coastal path with my sister over the Bank Holiday weekend.

It's Friday today, so time to link up with Crazy Mom Quilts for a Friday Finish, and a Whoop Whoop!


NUMBER OF PIECES:  153
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square 1/4" (6mm) x 1/4" (6mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Triangle 1 5/8" (42m) x 1" (26mm) x 1" (26mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Polka Party III by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (#03035)
Red Garden Pindot by Michael Miller Fabrics 

Spraytime (Scarlet) by Makower #2800-R06
Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224
Red pindot on cream (unidentified)
Pinking Shears Cream Apple Red, Mama Said Sew, Sweetwater, Moda
Redwork Rendevous by Alex Anderson for P and B Textiles
Tried and True Raindrops Garnet(04273) by Nanacy Halvorsen, Benartex

7 comments:

  1. Wow! This is one impressive block! And lucky as well - Caerhays Castle is a fantasti place, isn'tit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your posts about the Nearly Insane blocks. You are getting close to the end now, and I can't wait to see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy seeing your posts about the blocks for this quilt. Not nearly insane, definitely insane ;) I just showed this to my husband, he laughed, shook his head and then said "I want one" . . . LOL, that's what I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous block with a mind numbing number of tiny pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that does look insane! But tiny pieces are always so satisfying when they all go together :) Kudos to you for tackling such a project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really admire you for doing this - and keeping track of all the fabrics used too. You must be very organised. It's going to be beautiful when it's done. I don't know if I could stick it out to make all of those blocks. I might have a 'Plan B' of a smaller quilt in case it never got finished. I've started following you on Bloglovin so I'll watch your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You improved that block 100% with your changes. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete