Sunday 8 March 2015

Nearly Insane Quilt - Update #4 March 2015



Removing English Paper Piecing templates
Removing English Paper Piecing templates
I expect some of you may be wondering what progress I am making with the Nearly Insane quilt.  As you can see here, I have had a go at removing the papers.  The tiny bits hidden under the seams have required the patience and precision of removing a splinter from a finger, but gradually progress is being made.  Suzi the cat knows it is going to be a long job, but is joining me for the long haul.


Suzi the cat offers moral support with the paper removal
Suzi the cat offers moral support with the paper removal
Another dilemma that I have been dealing with is the border.  The original design has a zig zag border.  I don't think it is the most attractive edging, but in the spirit of keeping to the original I intend to put a zig zag border around my Nearly Insane quilt.  When I saw the Dear Jane exhibition in France, I noticed how the quilts without the original full scalloped border didn't look quite 'finished', and that has stuck with me.  Maybe I will do something different on my next Nearly Insane quilt ...
Nearly Insane Quilt - Solid Red Zig Zag Border
Nearly Insane Quilt - Solid Red Zig Zag Border
You may have noticed in some of my early 'reveals' that I showed the developing red zig zag border.  I had done almost one and half sides by the time the rest of the quilt was together, but when laid against it, it just looked TOO bold.

Nearly Insane Quilt - Red with White Zig Zag Border
Nearly Insane Quilt - Red with White Zig Zag Border

So I started again, using some of my red with white fabrics for the zig zag.  Again, I had done nearly a side and it just looked wrong.  It looked TOO big.

Nearly Insane Quilt - Small Red with White Zig Zag Border
Nearly Insane Quilt - Small Red with White Zig Zag Border
So having stitched over two sides of the border I then decided to actually read the instructions in the book and make the zig zag the smaller size that was suggested ....

We live. We learn.

I think is eligible for Slow Stitching Sunday ...

 

14 comments:

  1. I think you made a very good choice by using the red/white fabric instead of the red. It will look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrappy look and agree smaller will be perfect! Third times the charm so they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an intensive project but oh so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Errr did you say your NEXT Nearly Insane Quilt? Well that would just be.... crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such tiny precision work you are doing!
    Hope you find a border that knocks your socks off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. INSANE....if not from piecing than from getting all those pieces of paper out of the seams. It is beautiful!! Love the red and white combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the smaller scrappy zig zag border the best. Happy stitching to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking amazing - and yes, the smaller border looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilt & your helper.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is looking amazing! I hope you can use two borders you have already stitched in another project. They look great, and so much work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Worth the effort of trying the different borders, it's looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder this quilt is called "nearly insane"......!! Your quilt is amazing. So much beautiful detail to drink in. I look forward to seeing this beauty finished with your new borders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frances, I love your patience and perseverance. You're starting the border over again for the third time, yet you're already contemplating making this quilt again? That's what separates the casual quilters from the masters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so nice to see an update, I have been wondering about your Nearly Insane. I admire your fortitude in removing all of those papers, how tedious it must be. I don't even have the patience to remove stabilser paper from broderie perse any longer. I can't quite believe that you are going make another Insane!!!

    ReplyDelete